Losing weight can be difficult and seem like an impossible task. But, with small changes to your diet, it can be much easier than you think. Here are some easy eating habits for faster weight loss, according to dietitians.
First, cut out processed foods and eat more whole foods. Second, eat more protein and fiber-rich foods. Third, eat smaller meals more often throughout the day. Fourth, make sure to drink plenty of water.
Bulk up your meals with vegetables.
Are you looking to bulk up your meals with vegetables? Here are 9 effortless eating habits for faster weight loss, say dietitians.
- Eat more leafy greens. Leafy greens are a great source of vitamins and minerals, and they’re low in calories. Try adding them to your breakfast smoothie or tossing them into your lunchtime salad.
- Incorporate more colorful veggies into your diet. Brightly colored vegetables are packed with antioxidants, which can help protect your cells from damage and boost your immune system. Add a rainbow of color to your plate by including roasted sweet potatoes, grilled zucchini, and sautéed kale at your next meal.
- Fill up on fiber-rich veggies. Fiber helps keep you feeling full longer and can also help regulate blood sugar levels.
Leave three bites behind at each meal.
Most of us have been there before: feeling so stuffed that we can’t possibly eat another bite, but continuing to do so anyway because everything on our plate looks too good to waste. If you’re trying to lose weight, however, those extra bites can add up quickly. Dietitians say that making a conscious effort to leave three bites behind at each meal can help you lose weight without feeling deprived.
“It may not seem like much, but skipping just three bites at each meal can help you cut down on calories without feeling like you’re depriving yourself,” says registered dietitian Isabel Smith. “Weight loss is all about making small changes that you can stick with over time.”
Smith recommends starting by leaving one bite behind at each meal, and then gradually increasing to three as you get more comfortable with the habit.
Choose calorie-free beverages.
When it comes to weight loss, every little decision counts. And when it comes to beverages, dietitians say choosing calorie-free options can make a big difference.
“The calories in drinks can really add up, so making smart choices is key to weight loss success,” says registered dietitian Erin Palinski-Wade, author of Belly Fat Diet for Dummies.
Here are nine calorie-free beverages to help you reach your weight loss goals:
- Water: It’s the ultimate calorie-free beverage and essential for proper hydration. Drink eight glasses a day to keep your metabolism humming and help fill you up so you eat less.
- Unsweetened tea: Tea is a great source of antioxidants and has been shown to boost metabolism and promote fat burning.
Eat soluble fiber.
A high-fiber diet has many benefits, including weight loss. Soluble fiber, in particular, can help you lose weight by making you feel full and helping to regulate blood sugar levels. Here are 9 easy ways to add more soluble fiber to your diet.
- Start your day with a high-fiber breakfast. Oatmeal, whole-grain bread, and fruits are all good options.
- Add beans or lentils to your lunch or dinner. They’re a great source of soluble fiber and protein.
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables throughout the day. Aim for at least 5 servings per day.
- Snack on nuts or seeds instead of processed snacks. Nuts and seeds are high in fiber and healthy fats.
- Use whole-wheat flour when baking or cooking.
Eat fermented foods daily.
Research shows that fermented foods such as yogurt, kimchi, and sauerkraut can help you lose weight. Here are 9 easy ways to make fermented foods a part of your daily diet.
- Add yogurt to your breakfast. Top your favorite cereal or oatmeal with plain yogurt or Greek yogurt for a filling breakfast that will help you slim down.
- Make a kimchi omelet for breakfast or lunch. Kimchi is a fermented cabbage dish that is full of healthy probiotics. Simply add kimchi to your omelet along with some other vegetables for a delicious and nutritious meal.
- Enjoy sauerkraut as a side dish. Sauerkraut is another excellent source of probiotics and can be enjoyed as a side dish with meals or on its own.
- Instead of reaching for the chips, try eating some pickles. Pickles are excellent sources of probiotics and can help with digestion when consumed alongside a meal.
Include your favorite foods.
If you’re looking to cut down on calories and speed up your weight loss, you might be surprised to learn that you can do so by simply eating your favorite foods. That’s right, according to dietitians, there are a few effortless eating habits that can help you lose weight without feeling like you’re depriving yourself.
So, what are these magical weight-loss foods? Well, dietitians say that some of the best foods for weight loss include high-fiber fruits and vegetables, lean protein, whole grains, and healthy fats. And the good news is that there are plenty of delicious recipes that incorporate all of these weight-loss friendly ingredients.
So, if you’re looking to shed a few pounds, be sure to include these nine effortless eating habits into your daily routine. Your waistline will thank you!
Put oil and dressing in a spray bottle.
If you’re looking to lose weight quickly and easily, dietitians say there are a few simple changes you can make to your eating habits. One of the simplest things you can do is put oil and dressing in a spray bottle.
“When cooking or preparing food, we tend to use more oil and dressing than we really need,” says registered dietitian Isabel Smith. “By using a spray bottle, you can control how much you’re using and save calories in the process.”
Not only will this help you cut back on calories, but it will also save you money in the long run. “Buying a spray bottle and filling it with your favorite oil or dressing is much cheaper than buying individual serving sizes,” says Smith.
So next time you’re cooking or prepping food, reach for the spray bottle instead of the oil or dressing bottle.
Drink plenty of water
Water is essential for our bodies to function. Every cell, tissue, and organ in our body needs water to work properly. Even our bones are made up of mostly water! Drinking plenty of water is important for many reasons:
Water aids in digestion and can help prevent constipation. It also flushes toxins out of our system and helps keep our skin looking healthy.
When we drink enough water, we feel more energetic and less fatigued. Our moods tend to improve as well, since dehydration can lead to feelings of irritability and anxiety.
Most importantly, staying hydrated helps us maintain a healthy weight. Water has zero calories, so it’s a great way to fill up without adding any extra calories to our diet. Plus, it can help boost our metabolism and curb our appetite.
Avoid sugary drinks
When it comes to weight loss, dietitians say that sugary drinks are a big no-no. Here’s why:
Sugary drinks are loaded with empty calories that can add up fast. Just one 20-ounce soda contains about 250 calories. And if you’re drinking multiple sugary drinks per day, those calories can really start to add up.
Not only are sugary drinks calorie-dense, but they can also lead to weight gain. Studies have shown that people who drink sugary drinks regularly are more likely to be overweight or obese than those who don’t drink them.
So if you’re looking to lose weight, cut out the sugary drinks and stick to water or unsweetened tea or coffee instead. Your waistline will thank you!
When it comes to weight loss, every little bit counts. And while there’s no magic bullet for shedding pounds, there are a few simple changes you can make to your diet that will help you slim down faster.
Here, registered dietitians share the small tweaks they guarantee will help you shed fat. So if you’re looking to lose weight fast, these expert-approved strategies are the way to go.
Cutting out one indulgence — like sugary drinks or fatty snacks — can make a big difference in your overall calorie intake and help you slim down quickly. And though small changes like this may not seem like much, over time they can really add up and help you reach your weight loss goals.